This is new to probably no one but since I recently had to re-install Windows 7 to a laptop I figured I’d like to do it clean vice installing Vista then upgrading to Windows 7.
- Install Windows 7 using the upgrade CD. Boot from the CD. Do not enter the product key during this phase!
- Install all 10 million updates.
- Open the registry editor and navigate to:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE
- Change MediaBootInstall to “0“.
- Close regedit.
- Open up an admin command prompt (cmd) and type:slmgr /rearm
- Close the cmd prompt windows and then use the Activate Windows utility to continue.