There’s an issue with using the SQL 2012 client with vCenter 5.0U2. So as a workaround I installed the SQL 2008 native client on a Server 2012 installed vCenter to connect to a SQL 2012 database on a Server 2012 server.
- Download Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express.
- Run the installation program and ignore any warnings. Once inside the installations center screen select “Options” and take note of the Installation Media Root Directory.
- Navigate to this directory and then drill down to \x64\setup\x64 and copy the sqlncli.msi to a temporary location on your system.
- Run sqlncli.msi.
This is new to probably no one but since I recently had to re-install Windows 7 to a laptop I figured I’d like to do it clean vice installing Vista then upgrading to Windows 7.
- Install Windows 7 using the upgrade CD. Boot from the CD. Do not enter the product key during this phase!
- Install all 10 million updates.
- Open the registry editor and navigate to:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE
- Change MediaBootInstall to “0“.
- Close regedit.
- Open up an admin command prompt (cmd) and type:slmgr /rearm
- Close the cmd prompt windows and then use the Activate Windows utility to continue.